Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sparing the Spider

Tonight I made sure to get all my kids into bed by about 7:30. All 3 are sleeping in the same room (because Ally doesn't like sleeping by herself), so I always know it will take a little bit of time for them to settle down. I know I want to be watching the Amazing Race premiere at 8, so I aimed early this evening.
So after I thought they were all settled in, I came downstairs and was putting clothes into the dryer. I automatically heard Jacob coming down the stairs. Already, I think to myself. I yell out the door to find out what Jacob is doing. He explains that he has something to show me.
I come out of the laundry room and there stands my oldest son holding a dress up, plastic, yellow helmet. This frustrates me a little.
What is it, I ask. A spider, he replies. My heart jumps into my throat. I am not terribly fond of spiders, but I typically am not hesitant to smash a spider. Yes I murder spiders and do not feel even a little bit guilty. But tonight my oldest son was standing in front of me calmly holding a decent sized spider in this hat. I was frozen; I wasn't sure how to respond. Would it upset Jacob to see me smash this spider?
So, I asked him what I should do. He said, I don't know, what do you do with spiders? I explained to him that I kill them. He said okay, just like that this was not bothering him at all. And here I am in this emotional turmoil over smashing a spider. So then a thought hits me. Do you want to put him outside, Jacob? So he turns and opens the front door and we put him in the yard.
This was such a bizarre sequence of events for me. I have never hesitated to kill a spider, but the fact that my son was so calm about this gross little creature made me question myself.
Okay...gotta go...The Amazing Race is starting.

No comments: